Fairtrade Fortnight 2015
Posted by David Thompson | 23/02/2015 | Category: Fairtrade
This Monday marks the beginning of Fairtrade Fortnight (23rd February to 8th March) and to celebrate we have a number of great deals on our Fairtrade products, including:
• 20% off Co-operative Truly Irresistible Fairtrade Chocolate 100g
• Co-operative Fairtrade Rich Roast Granules 200g for just £2.50
• Saving £1 on Co-operative Fairtrade wines 75cl (Shiraz, Pinot Grigio, and Cabernet Sauvignon)
• And many more offers in stores.
Why buy and support Fairtrade? Well it means that producers all around the world who supply the food and drink get paid a fair price for the products they grow, which can be put back into the community they live in.
It’s also about doing business fairly, honestly and democratically - helping thousands of farmers and growers in developing countries work their way out of poverty for a more sustainable future, improving their homes, education and health care.
One of the key fundamental values at Central England Co-operative is ethical trading, which is why we are firmly committed to supplying and promoting Fairtrade products in all our stores, including coffee, chocolate, bananas and cakes.
Sharing the same beliefs and ethos, we are proud to have been a driving supermarket force behind Fairtrade since its inception and for over twenty years, in fact…
• We were the first major supermarket to embrace Fairtrade by stocking Cafédirect in 1992
• In 2000, we introduced the UK’s first Fairtrade bananas
• Our milk chocolate was the UK’s first own-brand product to carry the Fairtrade mark
• Our Fairtrade Chilean Carmenère was the UK’s first fairly-traded supermarket own-brand wine
• In 2003, we were the first retailer to convert all our own-brand coffee to Fairtrade
• We sourced five new own-label wines from the Du Toitskloof Co-operative in South Africa, one of the largest Fairtrade projects in the world, in 2006
• The first Fairtrade cotton “bag for life” went on sale in Co-operative stores in 2007, and Fairtrade bananas were made available in every store – that’s right, you’ll only find Fairtrade bananas in our stores!
• In 2008, we became the first retailer to switch our entire own-brand hot beverage range to Fairtrade.
…and we’re just getting started. Our own-brand Fairtrade range has expanded to over 250 products and only continues to grow.
As a community retailer, we also like to invite community groups in the local area to get involved and make a difference, including organising colouring/drawing Fairtrade competitions in our stores and educational Fairtrade activities in schools.
If you’re are looking for recipe ideas this Fair-trade fortnight, why not try our Fairtrade Tea Bread, Fairtrade Strawberry and Banana Pancake Cones, Fairtrade Chocolate Truffles or Fairtrade Beef and Noodle Stir Fry.
Over the next two weeks be sure to look out for the Fairtrade logo on our products and help spread the word by letting us know what you get up to on Facebook and Twitter using the hashtag #mycooptreats.