Seven facts you need to know about The Great British Bake Off from Central England Co-operative
Posted by Rob Smyth | 22/08/2016 | Category: Food
With only days left until the triumphant return of The Great British Bake Off to our screens, we have come up with some cake-tastic facts about the BBC show and offered some hints and tips about how fans can emulate the stars of the show at home.
Here are 7 facts you might not know about the Great British Bake Off:
1. The Great British Bake Off is filmed over approximately 10 weeks through April and June. Filming can take up to 16 hours per day with a crew of about 60 members and only takes place at weekends to allow contestants to return to work.
2. Contestants normally have 12 to 20 ingredients per bake, but it varies - one finalist, Frances Quinn, had 124 for her cake in the final one year.
3. Those that take part have to pay for all of their own ingredients right up until they reach the final – then they are supplied by the show.
4. Bakes always get eaten afterwards, a 'baker's basket' goes to the contestants' lunchroom and then the crew each the rest.
5. Last year the bakers used 1,600 eggs, 130kg of flour, and 150kg of sugar between them.
6. Each day before filming starts, ovens are checked for temperature and a Victoria sponge is baked in each one to check it is working properly.
7. The show is now copied by over 20 countries across the globe including Poland, Turkey, Thailand, Brazil and the USA where judge Paul Hollywood also heads up the show.
Here are 7 products shoppers can pick up in Central England Co-operative stores after being inspired by Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood.
1. Parents with youngsters can get in on the act by picking up special Disney themed cupcake kits with a choice of Princess or Star Wars for just £1.
2. Bakers with an artistic flare can indulge themselves by picking up all manner of decorating accessories including silver pearls, sugar stars and jelly diamonds from as little as 99p.
3. Lovers of Paul Hollywood will also be in for a treat as they can emulate their hero in the kitchen by picking up some of his new range including Belgian Chocolate Muffin Mix or Tomato and Thyme Bloomer Bread for just £1.99.
4. For those looking for a quick sweet fix can pick up a Dr Oetker Pud in a Mug from 79p. The range includes chocolate chip cake, lemon and rich chocolate cake.
5. People looking to grab a drink with their cake creation can now enjoy a infused drink from Twinings. You can enjoy a range of flavours from Fudge Melts to Salted Caramel.
6. Chocolate lovers can bake to their hearts content with the Co-op Chocolate Fudge Cupcake Mix for just £1.99.
7. Bakers looking to add a kick to their creations can do so by adding Co-op Popping Candy for just £2.15.
Social media savvy customers can also get in on the act by posting pictures of their amazing creations online to be in with a chance of winning a special Great British Bake Off inspired hamper filled with everything needed to make cake-themed treats.
Anyone struggling for inspiration as they try and copy the contestants can find some by visiting our website to view a long list of baking themed recipes at https://www.centralengland.coop/food-and-drink/recipes
People can also organise their very own Great British Bake-Off sweepstake. Click on the image below to download our handy sweepstake kit!