Easter Cake Recipe
Posted by Nathan Lloyd | 16/04/2014 | Category: Recipes
It’s the weekend and that must mean that it’s time for cake!
And with Easter Sunday just over a week away, we have another egg-cellent recipe, this time for a delicious Easter Cake.
The recipe is detailed below and, as always, we would love to hear your feedback at the foot of this article.
- Preparation Time: 55 minutes
- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- Serves: 20
- 200g (7oz) The Co-operative butter
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 200g (7oz) The Co-operative self-raising flour
- 10ml (2tsp) baking powder
- 4 The Co-operative free-range eggs
- 30ml (2tbsp) cocoa powder
- 5ml (1tsp) vanilla essence
- 100g (3 1/2oz) The Co-operative fairtrade dark chocolate
- 100g (3 1/2oz) The Co-operative butter, softened
- 100g (3 1/2oz) icing sugar
- 50g (1 3/4oz) The Co-operative fairtrade milk chocolate speckled eggs
- 25g (1oz) white chocolate, melted
- baking paper
Preheat oven to 180°C, 350°F, gas mark 4.
Using two separate bowls, place half of the buttery, caster sugar, flour, baking powder and eggs in each bowl. Beat with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
Mix the cocoa powder with 30ml (2tbsp) boiling water until it makes a smooth paste. Add this to 1 of the cake mixes and add the vanilla essence to the other.
Grease and line 2 x 20cm (8in) cake tins.
Spoon the mixtures into the tins alternately to create a marbled pattern. Level with a knife. Cook for about 20–25 minutes until the cakes spring back when lightly touched.
Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
Break up chocolate. Melt in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Put butter and icing sugar in a bowl; add the chocolate. Whisk until smooth. Spread a little on one cake; place other cake on top. Cover top and sides with the rest.
Decorate with milk chocolate eggs and drizzle the melted white chocolate.
This recipe has one or more red traffic lights. It's fine to eat occasionally or as a treat.