- vegetable oil
- 150g Co-operative self raising flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 75g Co-operative Fairtrade caster sugar
- 175ml cider (or you can use apple juice)
- 4 apples
- 1 lemon icing sugar (for dusting)
- 200ml double cream
- 3 tsp Dr.Oetker vanilla extract
- Heat around 5 inches of oil in a saucepan, until 180C or until bubbles are forming at the edge.
- Using an apple corer, remove the center of the apples, and then slice the apples roughly 1 cm thick. Place the apples in a bowl of cold water with a squeeze of lemon juice to stop them browning.
- For the batter, add the flour, cinnamon and sugar to a bowl and mix thoroughly. Slowly add the cider or juice, to create a thick batter. You may not need all of the liquid.
- Dip the slices of apple, a few at a time, into the batter and drop into the oil. Fry for around 2 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- Once the fritters are cooked set aside to cool for a couple of minutes. Pour the cream into a bowl with the vanilla extract and stir through. Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks.
- Serve sprinkled with icing sugar, and dolloped with cream.