Cheesy Garlic Bread
Serves: 10 - 12
Cooking Time: NA
A favourite treat across the UK. Soft, fluffy, herby bread, with a generous flavour of garlic and topped with tangy cheddar cheese. Perfect for sharing, and goes well with Bolognese, lasagnas and chillis.
- 500g strong bread flour
- 7g yeast
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
- 25g butter
- 120g mature cheddar, coarsely grated
- mixed dried herbs
- 300ml warm water
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add in the salt and yeast and stir around.
- In a separate jug, mix together the water and honey, and pour into the flour. Sprinkle in half of the cheese and mix to form a soft dough.
- Tip the dough onto a floured surface, and knead for 5 minutes. Pour the olive oil onto the dough and work into the mixture. Grease a large rectangular baking tin, and pour your dough in.
- Mix together the garlic, butter and the herbs. Spread over the top of the dough.
- Cover the tray with cling film, and allow to rise in a warm area for 50 minutes, or until risen and fluffy.
- Whilst the bread rises, heat the oven to 200C/180C/gas 6, and when ready, sprinkle over the remaining cheese and bake the bread for 30 minutes, until golden and firm.