- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Packet of Oreos
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F (105 degrees C).
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt until foamy. Gradually, just a spoonful at a time, add the sugar, beating well. Continue beating until the meringue stands up in a glossy, firm peak when you lift the beaters out of the bowl. Then beat in the vanilla.
- Spoon the meringue into a pastry decorating bag with a plain round tip approximately 3/8-inch (1 cm) wide. Pipe 3-inch (7.5 cm) bone shapes — one long line with two rounded blobs on each end.
- Pipe all the meringue at once because it cannot be baked in batches and they will deflate if it sits too long.
- Place the cookie sheets in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour. Without opening the oven door, turn the heat off and let the meringues remain in the oven for 1 more hour to dry and crisp.
- Remove from cookie sheets carefully or you will end up with a bunch of broken bones!
- Serve atop a plateful of crushed cookies sucs as Oreos to make it look as if they are lying in dirt.
Decorate with plastic spiders!