- For the sponge:
- 250g unsalted butter
- 225g Co-operative Fairtrade caster sugar
- 225g Co-operative self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- For the topping:
- Juice 2 lemons
- 85g Co-operative Fairtrade caster sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 180C /160C fan/gas 4. Beat the butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, whisking constantly.
- Sift in the flour and lemon zest, and fold.
- Grease and line a loaf tin with parchment paper, and pour in the cake mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until golden on top, and a skewer can be inserted and pulled out clean.
- Leave to cool, and make the lemon sauce. Mix the lemon juice and the caster sugar together vigorously. When cool, pour the lemon mix over the cake.
- Stand for 10 minutes and serve.