- 1kg Bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 lemon (juice only)
- 5 tsps light muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 8 slices of good quality white loaf bread
- 50g butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Place the apples, lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon in a saucepan over a medium heat. Mix together.
- Put the lid on and bring to a simmer. Stir often, until the apples become soft.
- Remove the lid, and turn the heat to high. Mix the apples thoroughly, until the liquid evaporates and they form a smooth puree. Take off the heat and set aside.
- Brush both sides of the bread with melted butter. Grease a deep cake tin, and line the base and sides with 3/4 of the bread, making sure to overlap the sides.
- Spoon in the apple puree, and cover the top with the remaining bread. Make sure there are no gaps.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Leave to cool slightly, but serve warm.
- Works well with fresh cream or custard.