Chocolate Velvet Pie
Serves: 6 - 8
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
A rich and tasty dessert that looks impressive but doesn't require hours in the kitchen. The crunchy biscuit base complements the smooth and creamy topping. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream for a truly decadent treat.
- For the base:
- 250g dark chocolate digestive biscuits
- 75g butter (melted and cooled slightly, not enough to solidify)
- For the topping:
- 225g cream cheese
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 tsp Dr Oetker Madagascan vanilla extract
- 175g dark chocolate, melted
- 2 large egg yolks
- 300ml double cream, whipped
- 1 large egg white
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/gas mark 6.
- Start by making the base. Crush the biscuits into crumbs using a blender or food processor. If you don't have either, you can crush them in a food bag using a rolling pin.
- Mix the biscuit crumbs and the melted butter together. Press the mixture into the base and sides of a 20-22cm flan dish.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes before removing and leaving to cool.
- While the base is cooling, make the topping. Beat together the cream cheese and 100g of the caster sugar.
- Add the vanilla extract into the cream cheese mixture, then add the melted chocolate.
- Next add the egg yolks one by one into this mixture, followed by the whipped cream.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg white until it is stiff, then keep whisking while adding in the remaining caster sugar a spoonful at a time.
- Fold the egg white into the chocolate mixture then pour it onto the cooked pie crust.
- Chill in the fridge for several hours until set.