- 500ml of double cream
- 3 tsp Dr Oetker vanilla seeds
- 100g Co-operative Fairtrade caster sugar (plus extra for the topping)
- 6 free range egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/gas 2.
- Pour the cream into a saucepan, and add the vanilla seeds into the cream.
- Bring the cream to the boil, and then instantly reduce the heat so the cream simmers for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the sugar and egg yolks together in a heatproof bowl until light and fluffy.
- Bring the cream back to the boil, and then pour it over the egg yolk mixture. Whisk the mixture continuously until the mix thickens.
- Strain the mix through a fine sieve into a jug, and separate it between 6 ramekins.
- Create a bain-marie, by placing the ramekins in a large roasting dish, and pouring in hot water to surround their bases.
- Place on the center shelf, and bake for 45 minutes, or until set, but still with a slight wobble. Chill until cool.
- Sprinkle each of the puddings with 2 tsp of sugar, and caramelise using a blow torch (or the grill). The sugar should be hard and crisp.