- For the cake
- 220g margarine, softened
- 275g The Co-operative Fairtrade golden caster sugar
- 275g plain flour
- 80g Cadbury Fairtrade cocoa
- 2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp baking powder
- 4 free-range eggs, beaten
- 300ml semi-skimmed milkFor the icing
- 200g bar The Co-operative Fairtrade dark chocolate
- 250g butter, softened
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- 50g Cadbury Fairtrade cocoa, sifted
- 1 tbsp The Co-operative Fairtrade instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water and cooled
- For the decoration
- 75g The Co-operative Fairtrade milk chocolate
- 75g The Co-operative Fairtrade dark chocolate.
To make the cake
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C/fan oven 160°C.
- Line the bases of two deep, 20cm cake tins with non-stick parchment and rub the sides with a little of the margarine.
- Place the margarine and sugar in a food processor and whizz until combined.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder, and add to the mixer.
- Beat the eggs with the milk, pour into the mixer and blend until well combined. Scrape down the sides and whizz once more.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 30–35 minutes, until the top is springy and the cake has begun to shrink from the sides of the tin. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool. Peel off the parchment bases.
To make the icing
- Melt the dark chocolate, broken into pieces, either in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water or in the microwave.
- Combine the butter, icing sugar and cocoa in a food processor until smooth, or use a hand whisk. Whisk in the cooled coffee and melted chocolate until smooth.
- Split each cake in 2 to create 4 even rounds. Place one on a serving plate or stand, spread with icing and continue with all the cakes. Use a palette knife to spread the top of the cake with icing, swirling to create a pattern. Cover the sides of the cake with the remaining icing.
NB: If you don’t have a food processor, combine all the ingredients using an electric whisk or beat by hand.
For the decoration
- To make the curls and shards; melt each of the chocolates separately, as before. Pour out onto a marble board or the clean underside of a heavy metal baking tray keeping the chocolates separate and chill for 10–15 minutes, until just set.
- Holding a long knife at a 45 degree angle to the chocolate, push it away from you to create curls. The milk chocolate will curl and the dark will create long thin shards. If the chocolate is too cold or too warm it won’t behave properly; leave at room temperature or chill again to reach the right consistency.
- Scatter over the cake.