- 100g sponge fingers
- 40 ratafia biscuits
- 420g tinned peach slices
- 225g raspberries
- 3 tbsp sweet sherryCustard ingredients:
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 3-4 drops vanilla essence
- ¾ pints of whole milkTopping ingredients:
- Grated rind & juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp sweet sherry
- 1/2 pt double cream
- 10oz flaked toasted almonds
- Break up sponge fingers and place in 4pt glass bowl with ratafia biscuits.
- Drain peaches, reserving 4 tbsp of juice.
- Mix 2-4 tbsp of sherry and 4 tbsp of peach juice and pour over ratafia biscuits. Add the drained peaches and raspberries to the bowl.
- Beat egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
- Warm the milk in a pan. Add mixture to warm milk and stir constantly over a gentle heat, until the custard coats the back of the spoon. Do not allow to boil.
- When the custard has cooled slightly, pour it over the sponge and fruit. Leave to cool completely.
- Mix lemon rind, juice of a whole lemon, sherry and sugar together.
- ;Whip the cream until it holds its shape and whip into sherry mixture.
- Spread over trifle and chill. Scatter almonds over top before serving.