- 500g The Co-operative braising steak, cut into chunks
- 1 ½ tbsp of olive oil
- 6 The Co-operative shallots, peeled and cut half
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 The Co-operative carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- ½ The Co-operative swede cut into chunks
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 1tsp chopped rosemary or thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 852ml (1 ½ pints) of beef stock
- 2tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/3
- In a large saucepan add 1/2tsp of the olive oil and cook the shallots until they start to brown.
- Next add the garlic, carrots, swede, herbs and bay leaves. Continue cooking for a couple more minutes and pour in the beef stock and bring to a simmer.
- In a bowl add the flour and season to taste. Toss in the beef until well coated. Place a large frying pan over the hottest setting.
- Add the remaining olive oil and cook the beef until nicely browned all over.
- Tip the beef into the casserole add the Worcestershire sauce. Pop a lid on and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- For the potatoes simply boil in plenty of boiling water until tender and just on the point of being cooked, tip into a colander and leave for 2-3 minutes.
Tip: Serve your casserole in bowls with your boiled potatoes and some garden peas, brushing the potatoes with a little butter or margarine really makes a difference.