Spicy Chilli Fried Plantain
Serves: 4 - 6
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
A member of the banana family, containing less sugar and more vitamin A and C. Can be used at any stage of ripeness, and are often used in savoury cooking as a side dish.
- 750g plantain
- vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves,chopped
- good pinch of chilli flakes
- lemon juice
- Peel and slice the plantain.
- Heat a large knob of butter and a dash of oil in a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Add the plantain to the pan, and wait for them to turn golden. Keep watch of the fruit as they burn easily and will need to be turned after around 30-60 seconds on one side.
- The plantain will need to be fried in batches so that only a single layer can be in the pan at once. When all the plantain is cooked, return all the fruit to the pan with an extra knob of butter, the garlic, chilli, and seasoning.
- Cook for 2 minutes, tossing together. At the last minute add a squeeze of lemon and stir through.