- 7 plums, halved and de-stoned
- 125g caster sugar
- Approx half a loaf stale white bread
- 1 vanilla pod (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 30g butter, softened
- 500 ml double cream
- 200ml whole milk
- 3 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- Set the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- In a dish, place all the plums stone side up, and liberally sprinkle each one with caster sugar. Bake for around 15 minutes, until they become tender and juicy. Set aside and allow to cool slightly, for 5 minutes.
- Take the crusts off the bread and slice (depending on how thick you like your bread). Spread the slices with butter both sides and line the dish so that everywhere in the dish is covered with the bread.
- For the custard, add the cream, milk and vanilla to a pan and bring to the boil. Take off he heat and let the mixture infuse for a few minutes.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together all of the eggs, yolk and sugar until thoroughly mixed.
- If you used a pod, take it from the cream, and then slowly add the cream mixture to the egg mixture, making sure to whisk continuously. The custard should be thin and smooth.
- Place the plums evenly between the slices of bread. Pour the custard over the top of the plums and bread until full but not overflowing.
- Bake for 40 minutes.