Sweet Potato and Beef Mince Stew
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 90 minutes
100% British beef mince. Made from selected, lean cuts of beef, and minced. A cheaper form of meat, very versatile and can be used in stews, Bologneses and burgers. Full flavoured, due to marbling of fat.
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g lean minced beef
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 500g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves chopped finely
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs of thyme, leaves chopped finely
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, and add the onion, celery and carrot. Sweat until soft.
- Add the beef, and let it brown.
- Add the tomato puree and the ketchup, and stir. Then pour in the canned tomatoes, sweet potatoes, herbs, garlic and a cup of water. Bring to the boil.
- Simmer away for 1 hour, until the sweet potato is tender and the sauce is reduced and flavorsome. Ensure you stir the stew at regular intervals whilst cooking.
- Serve with rice and vegetables, or simply with crusty bread.