- 350g oats
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 50g sesame seeds
- 50g the Co-operative wholefoods seed mix
- 60g cashews/almonds/hazelnuts (roughly chopped)
- 100ml olive oil
- 75ml runny honey
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 200g dried fruit mix (e.g. apples, apricots, raisins, cranberries, prunes)
So easy to make, this recipe can be eaten at any time of the day. Children often enjoy it as a snack with fresh orange jucie poured over. Be sure to make a large batch - it will stay fresh for a few weeks in an airtight container.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/fan 130°C/Gas 2. Put the oats, coconut, seeds and nuts in a big bowl and mix.
- In a jug, mix together the oil, honey and vanilla, and pour over the dry ingredients. Stir until everything is mixed very well.
- Spread the mixture out in a large ovenproof tin. Bake for 40-45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to help make sure that all of the mixture becomes dry, light, golden and crisp.
- Leave to cool and then add the dried fruit and mix together.
- Store in an airtight container.
- The breakfast stack
- Layer the granola with yogurt and either fruit compote or fresh fruit. If you are in a rush, spoon into a jam jar and enjoy while at work.
- Roasted fruits of the season
- Choose your favourite, such as nectarines or peaches, halve and top with a little butter, sugar and a few raspberries. Roast for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle a little granola over and serve.
Sprinkle granola over your favourite ice cream. Add a few handfuls to your favourite crumble topping for extra crunch. Pack into little pots as a quick snack for children. When making flapjacks, replace half the quantity of rolled oats with granola to make them extra-fruity.