Legal services and advice
Helping you with the legal and financial issues when someone dies
- Are you worried about having been appointed to act as an executor for someone who has died?
- Has a relative or a friend died without making a will?
Taking care of the legal and financial issues when somebody dies is a complex and daunting task requiring specialist knowledge. It is important to take the right steps immediately to make sure that any dependants are financially secure.
We can help to relieve this stress by taking on some of the responsibility for probate administration.
How we can help
In partnership with Co-operative Legal Services*, we offer a full legal and probate service, helping to relieve some of the burden of administration following the death of a loved one.
We will ensure that all necessary forms are completed and legal procedures followed, and resolve issues as they arise.
For example, we will:
- collect details of the estate's assets and liabilities
- where appropriate, complete Inheritance Tax documentation and pay Inheritance Tax
- establish whether the estate is solvent
- calculate whether there is enough money to meet all legacies in full, and deal with any problems if not
- complete and return all Probate Registry forms
- arrange funds or a loan to pay probate fees and Inheritance Tax where necessary
- apply for the Inheritance Tax Discharge Certificate
- obtain the grant of probate
- arrange the statutory advertisement for creditors and other claimants
- present the grant of probate to the appropriate authorities
- collect assets due to the estate
- if the district valuer does not agree with the valuation of the property, negotiate a new value and arrange payment of any extra tax
- complete Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax forms for the period of administration
- release cash to pay debts
- where relevant, complete stock and share transfer forms and draft an assent (essentially, a transfer of ownership) for property
- deal with any challenge to the will under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975
- prepare the estate accounts.
- administer any trusts or life interests created within the will or statute
- obtain approval of the estate accounts and distribute the assets to the beneficiaries of the will
*Co-operative Legal Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority under registration number 567391.
Find a funeral home
other pages that may be of interest