- 200g Co-operative Fairtrade caster sugar
- 200g butter (plus extra for greasing)
- 4 eggs
- 200g Co-operative farm self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp milk
- for the filling:
- 100g butter
- 120g icing sugar
- Jar of strawberry jam
- icing sugar for dusting
- Pre heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Butter two 20cm cake tins, and line with baking paper. In a bowl, mix all of the sponge ingredients together until you have a creamy smooth mixture.
- Pour equal amounts of the mixture into each tin. Bake for around 20 minutes, or until golden and spongy. Leave to cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Whisk together the butter and icing sugar, until smooth and pale in colour. Spread jam over the bottom of one of the sponges, and top with a layer of butter cream. Place the other sponge on top, and decorate with any butter cream that is left.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.