- 200g dates
- 40g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250ml boiling water
- 140g light muscavado Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 280g Co-operative plain Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 115g walnuts (chopped)
- pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease a deep cake tin, and line the base with baking paper.
- Place the dates, butter and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl, and cover with boiling water. Stir everything together until the butter is melted. Let it cool.
- In a bowl, mix the sugar and eggs and beat until combined and fluffy. Add in the date mixture, followed by the flour, baking powder, ground ginger, and salt.
- Add the walnuts and mix everything together.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin. Bake for an hour, or until the cake is risen and browned. If you insert a skewer into the center, it should come out clean.
- When cooked, leave to cool, and serve.